As a member of RVRR, hopefully you have heard about running for the teams. If you haven’t been receiving emails from your team captain, get in touch with the board to make sure you get on the appropriate email list (or check your spam folder for your captain’s name just in case)
There are no speed requirements for running for our teams, but there are some other requirements – so, what are they?
Before racing for RVRR in a USATF designated LDR Championship Event:
- You must be a member of RVRR
- You must be a member of USATF*
- You must be age-verified by USATF NJ
- Let your team captain know which championship races you intend to run – the current year list of races can be found on our “teams page” – each race is designated by division – for Masters races only runners age 40 and over can be entered on a team. Anyone can run in an Open division race, and for All Divisions races team captains will assign you to appropriate teams (runners 40 and over can be used on 2 teams!)
*When you join USATF it will ask for your club number – the RVRR club number is 202. If you happen to live outside NJ, you will be registered in the state where you reside. You will have to request to transfer your membership to USATF NJ manually to be eligible to run for RVRR.
At an event:
- If you pre-registered, and you let your team captain know that you are running, you will already be on a team. If you are registering on the day, make sure your team captain has your bib number at least 45 minutes before the start. Team captains have until 30 minutes prior to the start of the race to complete their team submissions, so if you are registering on the day, please allow plenty of time.
- You do not have to wear a team singlet but club members at the race to support will find it easier to spot you and cheer you on if you are wearing one (National events require matching singlets – if your team is involved in a national event, the team captain will coordinate this). RVRR singlets are usually available at Runner’s High in Metuchen, but it may be worth calling ahead to check on stock. Let the board know if there is no stock.
- Most importantly – USATF prohibits the use of headphones or any portable listening device. As a USATF member, you should receive a pre-race email which includes the following: “Any USATF New Jersey athlete that is competing at a championship race as an individual or on a team cannot wear headphones or any other portable listening device. Championship competitors wearing headphones during the race will not be eligible for USATFNew Jersey Championship individual or team scoring or awards. Please leave your headphones in the car or at home!”
After the event:
Teams will score points based on the top 3 or 5 finishers in the team (depending on division/age/gender). The teams accumulates points during the year for each of the team groupings and for the club as a whole. So, the more people that run, the more points the club accumulates and increases our chances of placing in the championship.
It is also worth noting that there is an individual Grand Prix competition in addition to the team competition. Team Championship races are 700 point races in that competition. There will be a follow up post explaining the individual championship, but information can be found at this link if you are not familiar with it.
- Make sure you are a
- current RVRR member
- current USATF member
- age-verified with USATF
- Let your captain know you will be at a race.
- If you are registering on the day, get your bib number to the captain at least 45 minutes before the start.
- Don’t wear headphones during the race, or use any other listening device.